Wearing an Oversized Cardigan with a Dress
For the second look in this series I wanted to style this oversized cardigan sweater in a prettier way. I paired it with a chambray shirtdress and an awesome pair of fall boots. If you missed the first look check it out – how to wear a cardigan in a casual way.
When wearing an oversized cardigan the first thing you need to consider is the actual size of the cardigan. Somewhat oversized, kind of oversized or just plain big. I would advise something in between. You don’t want the cardigan to be so big that it swallows you up, than might as well wear a blanket. If you have a cardigan that’s slightly oversized, like the one I’m wearing in this post, it’s especially important to pay close attention to what you wear underneath. The clothes have to be form fitting. If you wear the oversized cardigan with a dress, the dress needs to accentuate the waist or be belted.
In this outfit the dress is slightly longer than the cardigan and it’s also belted. This is a good length because it won’t look like you’re wearing nothing underneath. The boots end about mid calf and I decided not to wear tights or leggings because I didn’t there to be too much fabric. Being bared legged kept this outfit from looking frumpy. Overall the outfit was balanced. Heavy top with a lighter bottom.
A simple cross body pouch purse and the look is good to go.
This outfit is for transitional weather. Once it starts getting colder leggings become a necessity. But while the weather is in the high 60’s this is the perfect day look to keep you cozy but also looking stylish.
When creating a similar transitional with an oversized cardigan keep these three things in mind to get it right every time.
- Don’t wear a cardigan that is so oversized that you’re drowning in knit. Find a middle ground, not too small or too big.
- Wear form fitting clothes underneath or a dress that belted. (Also, if you’re wearing a shorter dress make sure it’s longer than the cardigan so it doesn’t look like you’re wearing nothing underneath.)
- Make sure the look is balanced. If the top half is fabric heavy then wear a lighter or very slimming bottom.
How do you wear an oversized cardigan?
PS: Scroll to the bottom to see outfit details
Create a Similar Look:
- Cardigan Sweater gifted by AMIClubwear
- Chambray Dress from LOFT
- Boots from MAX&Co
- Brown Crossbody from Sole Society